The theory of multiple intelligences differentiates intelligence into specific, primarily sensory modalities, versus seeing intelligence as dominated by a single, general ability. This model, first proposed by Howard Gardner (1983), articulates seven individual criteria for a behavior to be considered an intelligence:
1. Logical mathematical
5. Bodily kinesthetic
For this assessment, presume you are going to test and compare dimensions of intelligence of people from cultures on two different continents. Complete the following:
• Select and define three of Gardner’s dimensions of intelligence.
o Explain how you would test these three different dimensions of multiple intelligence in each culture. Do you need to test differently? Why?
o Explain how Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligence illustrates cultural differences.
• Choose two very distinct cultures on two different continents. Measure each culture using the three Gardner dimensions you have selected for this assessment.
• Compare and contrast the two cultures you have chosen:
o What type of intelligence does each culture favor?
o What does it mean to be intelligent in each culture? What does intelligence mean in each culture?
o What is the history of each culture?
o What is the environment like?
• Include an introductory paragraph and a concluding paragraph.
• Include a minimum of three research resources.