There exists in almost every jurisdiction people of different nationalities, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability. These groups all have a history with law enforcement at some level and have different needs from law enforcement. Select a culture that you are unfamiliar with and ideally uncomfortable with. The culture you select may be based on an innate characteristic, such as race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical disability or mental disability. Gangs, prison inmates, homelessness, post traumatic stress, and other characteristics that are not innate are all unacceptable.
The Area that was chosen was African American Communities.
Your research and paper must minimally include the following elements:
1. At least 3 face-to-face in-person interviews with members of the culture. ( Can be made up but looks real)
2. An immersion into the culture that could include attending an event or ceremony, visiting a community, or volunteering with an organization related to the culture. ( Can be made up but looks real)
3. A description of the customs and traditions of the culture.
4. Your stereotypes of the culture before beginning the assignment compared to what you found in your research and immersion experience.
5. How the culture perceives law enforcement and what special needs the culture has of law enforcement.
6. Describe how the experience impacted you. Why did you select the culture? What were the most important things you learned? How did your experience with the culture change your views?
In addition to the 3 face-to-face interviews and immersion, your research must include 3 additional sources of information such as a book, Internet article, or some other publication. Your paper must be typed using a 12-pitch font, double spaced, with one-inch margins all the way around. There is no minimum or maximum length as your paper will be evaluated based on the content and not length. In addition to content, you will also be graded based on grammar, spelling, punctuation, and format. A bibliography documenting your interviews and all sources used in your research is also required. Submit your paper electronically using the Cross Cultural Research Project Submission found in the Learning Modules (will become available to you during the last week of class).
THREE PERSON INTERVIEWS AND 3 SOURCES*